Monday, 6 April 2015

The Great Indian Family Circus

Recently I went to watch a movie. Not that there is something great about me watching the movie, but I was reluctant to go in the firsts place, as I had no interest, however my friends were interested to watch it. By the time movie ended I was in love with it. This happens with most of us. If not a movie then may be a place or person.

We are experts in being judgmental. We form and declare our opinions without even a backing of logic. We keep talking and gossiping about people without even interacting with the victim even once. That’s so convenient and gives our coffee a purpose. Otherwise it would be very difficult to go out for a coffee or for shopping if we have to first know a person and then gossip about them.

By the way Indian pickles are best in class and are famous around the world for the tangy and spicy flavors and so are our gossip factories. Go to any Indian family of four members (or three) especially when their relatives visit (Like the Tauji’s and the Buaji’s). Indian kids of my age have a record of hating their aunts to the core. I am sure nobody would want to know the reason, as it is the obvious one. A girl in the house who is 25 years old; single and working is a grave issue. A boy in the house aged 27 and above; working for an MNC and earning a heavy salary is worse than a widower.

Trust me I am not exaggerating, it can be proved if we go out to interview any person who is single and in mid twenties. The buck does not stop here. Oh, married for three years and no news of The Good News. Serious crime buddy. I mean when would you plan your family? After retirement? Did you see Sharma ji’s daughter, such short hair and the shorter skirt!

The best remedy to get this chain reaction under control is be honest with your family about your choices and preference and just love them. I mean nobody really matters when your family supports you. The relatives? Lets them keep the gossip machines churning.

One thing is for sure that the relatives, the neighbors are truly the catalyst (explosive ones) in the Great Indian Family Reaction.

3 comments:

  1. Is this analogy true - "Sharma Ji's daughter"? LOL
    I hate that part when family wonder about the family planning schedule, I would prefer travelling for more than those 3 years.
    Its a beautiful read and a mirror to our society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Nice to see you writing... interesting blog.

    Critical Feedback --
    You probably figured out yourself already... there were two grammatical mistakes.
    The two themes you wrote about "our judgmental nature" and "problem with traditional values and attitude of family" appeared oil and water to me

    Complementary Feedback --
    Your blog is very interesting to read.
    Some phrases clearly show your creativity, of a successful writer, with the language e.g. "...give purpose to coffee..".

    You blog got me thinking, hasn't it become fashionable these days to curse Traditional Indian Family Values. It’s necessary to deride or utter profanity against Indian Values in order to be called as modern.
    If you advocate Indian values... you will be judged, by the modern, as backward or un-cool etc.
    Well, I don't blame you; it is the Bollywood movies funded by the Arabs OR so called (pseudo) liberals by the Church funded mainstream media.

    If you want to become a writer, it’s also a social responsibility, please use discretion.
    (Judging by your exterior) Don't volunteer to become leftist lots of JLF, choose your role models more carefully.

    Best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete